IBBY UK Bursary Scheme for Travel to the 34th IBBY World Congress,
Mexico City, 2014
The IBBY 2012 World Congress in London was a huge success, welcoming delegates from around the world to discuss and celebrate children’s literature. To build on this success, IBBY UK is supporting two of its members to attend the 2014 World Congress in Mexico City, September 10-13, 2014 on the subject “Reading as an inclusive experience.” www.ibbycongress2014.org
There are two bursaries available. One is for post-graduate students of children’s literature or those working towards a qualification in illustration for children; the other is for anyone with an established interest in children’s books and literacy or the work of IBBY. It is intended that at least one bursary will go to an applicant aged under 35; and special consideration will be given to applicants who have offered to give a paper or poster session at the Congress. A member of the IBBY UK Committee will also be supported to attend the Congress.
What support is available for successful applicants?
IBBY UK will pay for:
• Registration at the Congress (expected to be about £450-£500)
• £1,000 to cover flights, accommodation and subsistence
Responsibilities of successful applicants
Bursary holders will be expected to:
• Attend all plenary sessions of the Congress
• In cooperation with fellow bursary holders to write at least 3 blog reports on the Congress during your attendance
• Write an individual report on the Congress for publication on the IBBY UK website and in IBBYLink
• Share your experience of the Congress with your professional organisation, place of study or work.
• To submit a certificate of attendance at the Congress.
Who can apply?
• Residents of the UK and members of IBBY UK in 2013-2014 (Successful applicants will be expected to renew their membership for 2014-2015). For details of membership go to www.ibby.org.uk/membership
• Applicants for the student bursary must be registered on a recognised course of study for a postgraduate degree or a qualification in illustration in the U.K. and supply a reference from a member of staff of their institution.
How to apply
• You should apply by e mail to the Secretary of IBBY UK, John Dunne, by August 31 2013: email@example.com
• You should provide contact details, including name, age, postal and e-mail addresses, and telephone number.
• You must indicate why you need a bursary and show that you have considered other avenues of funding
• You must demonstrate an interest in the work of IBBY and the theme of the Congress.
• You must submit a personal statement detailing study or experience relevant to your application, giving your reasons for applying, and stating how attendance at the Congress will enhance your work or study. This should describe how attendance at the Congress will have a positive impact on your professional development, the potential positive impact on the institution where you study or the organisation you work for and how you would share learning from the Congress. The statement should be no longer than a single A4 sheet.
How will the bursaries be allocated?
• Applications will be considered by a sub-committee of the trustees of IBBY UK
• Applicants may be called for interview
• It is intended that successful applicants will be notified by the end of September 2013