PenguinRandomHouse Children’s Books presented their 2017 Highlights at an event last night and THE highlight for me (and from comments being made after the presentation for many others there as well) was Hortense and the Shadow, a debut picture book by Natalia and Lauren O’Hara, an author-illustrator sister partnership. The two of them gave the most entrancing preview of the book, showing samples of the artwork as well as some snaps from their family album. There were copies of the book available on the night but all had been snapped up by the time ACHUKA started looking for them.
Of course there are other good things to look forward to as well.
Here’s a selection:
- Grumpy Frog by Ed Vere, whose talk was effortlessly entertaining. [May]
- A special 40th edition of Dogger by Shirley Hughes [July]
- A new book from John Burningham, Muse House [August]
- A picture book version of the hugely popular Michael Rosen poem Chocolate Cake [August]
- Wave Me Goodbye, the new WWII evacuation novel from Jacqueline Wilson [May]
- A new tranch of Puffin Classics and V&A Classics
- Additions to the Puffin Book collection
- The Guggenheim Mystery (a sequel to Siobhan Dowd’s The London Eye Mystery) by Robin Stevens [August]
- The Creakers, a new book from Tom Fletcher, who was at the event reading from Chapter 1 [October]
- A second book from Clare Balding, The Racehorse Who Disappeared [October]
- Diary of A Wimpy Kid 12 [Nov]
- The Book Of Dust by Philip Pullman [October]
- The Truth And Lies of Ella Black by Emily Barr [Jan 2018]
It was particularly helpful that the booklet included in the event goody bag included a full list of the current Publicity Team with contact details for each.