The judges of the prize this year will be:
- Hot Key Books Publisher Emily Thomas
- Kobo’s Children’s Specialist Antonia Fowler
- Director of the National Literacy Trust Jonathan Douglas
- Guardian Children’s Books Editor Julia Eccleshare
- Hot Key authors Fleur Hitchcock and Matt Whyman
- Children’s Bookseller Katie Clapham from Storytellers, Inc.
- Bloggers Vivienne De Costa from Serendipity Reviews and M from We Sat Down
- With consultation from school children from Globe School, Southwark, London and St John’s School, Lacey Green, Bucks
To enter you must be:
- Between the ages of 18 – 25 (at time of submission)
- Unpublished and unagented (you can submit if you have self-published but read the T&Cs first)
- From anywhere in the world, but writing in English
The Prize will have four stages.
- Initial submissions (4000 words + 1 page synopsis) will be accepted from 9am on Thursday 20th June 2013. The closing date for initial submissions will be 5pm on Monday 22nd July 2013.
- Hot Key Books will shortlist entries to a final 20 by Friday 28th October 2013. Full manuscripts will be requested from successful applicants (9-12 category: 30-50,000 words. 13-19 category: 50-80,000 words).
- A final shortlist of 5 entries for each category will be sent out to a judging panel on Monday 6th January 2014.
- The judging panel will choose two winners. Winners will be announced at London Book Fair 2014.
- There will be two overall Prize winners, one from the 9-12 category and one from the 13-19 category.
- The Prize is a potential worldwide publishing contract for each winner with Hot Key Books and full editorial support.