Inspiring and supporting students to become an insightful, creative and professional teacher of primary English.
Teaching children English is an opportunity to give them skills that will enrich their entire lives and is a crucial part of their intellectual development. Covering all major aspects of primary English and following the foundations set in the early years, this book takes students through your teacher training and into their early career in the classroom.
Each topic explores what we know from theory and the latest research, and then demonstrates how this understanding can be used in practice. Drawing on the authors’ own knowledge and experiences in the classroom, the book is full of practical advice and strategies to support teaching, while also helping trainees develop their subject knowledge.
Key topics include:
* Reading and writing in the early years
* Curriculum design and planning
* Promotive reading for pleasure and teachers as readers
* Teaching writing and its role as a form of communication
* Vocabulary development and word knowledge
* Assessment for formative and summative purposes
* Oracy and spoken language development