Literature Wales has announced that popular Pembrokeshire-based children’s author Eloise Williams is the first Children’s Laureate Wales. The announcement was made in front of 150 pupils at Jubilee Park Primary School in Newport, where Eloise is currently the Patron of Reading.
Eloise Williams will be in post until summer 2021.
The brief for the new Welsh laureate:
- engage and inspire the children of Wales (primarily ages 5-13) through literature;
- encourage self-expression and develop literacy and communication skills amongst children;
- be an ambassador and positive role model for children, championing their rights and interests;
- raise the visibility of children’s literature in Wales, nationally and internationally;
- be a strong advocate for creative reading, writing and speaking for pleasure;
- support the development of the next generation of young writers;
- particularly engage Literature Wales’ Target Client Characteristics, as specified in our Strategic Plan 2019-22 – children from BAME backgrounds, children from low income backgrounds, children with disabilities or illnesses (physical or mental);
- scout, develop, support and advocate for a cohort of talented young writers at the start of their literary careers.