Ten of the most iconic illustrated children’s books of the 20th century will be featured in a new exhibition opening tomorrow at the British Library in London.
The free show, called Picture This: Children’s Illustrated Classics, has been curated by Dr Matthew Eve and runs from October 4 to January 26, 2014, in the Folio Society Gallery.
• The Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling (1902)
• The Railway Children by E Nesbit (1905)
• The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (1908)
• The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (1910)
• Peter Pan and Wendy by JM Barrie (1911)
• The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien (1937)
• The Borrowers by Mary Norton (1952)
• Paddington Bear by Michael Bond (1958)
• Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (1964)
• The Iron Man by Ted Hughes (1968)