The Welsh Books Council has announced the titles on the shortlist of the prestigious Tir na n-Og Awards for 2014.
Best English-language Book Category
- The Seven – Steve Gladwin (Pont)
- The Wild West Show – Phil Carradice (Pont)
- Welsh Cakes and Custard – Wendy White (illustrated by Helen Flook) (Pont)
The Tir na n-Og Awards were established in 1976 with the intention of raising the standards of children’s and young people’s books in Wales, and to encourage the buying and reading of good books. Three awards are presented annually by the Books Council and are sponsored by the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals Cymru/Wales and Cymdeithas Lyfrau Ceredigion.
The shortlists for the two Welsh-language categories have also been announced, and these are:
Best Welsh-language Primary Category
- Ar Fferm Sgubor Wen – Caryl Lewis (Gwasg Gwynedd)
- Dafydd a Dad – Manon Steffan Ros a Jac Jones (Y Lolfa)
- Cwmwl dros y Cwm – Gareth F. Williams (Gwasg Carreg Gwalch)
Best Welsh-language Secondary Category
- Haciwr (Cyfres Pen Dafad) – Hywel Griffiths (Y Lolfa)
- Diffodd y Sêr (Cyfres yr Onnen) – Haf Llewelyn (Y Lolfa)
- Pedwar (Cyfres Mellt) – Lleucu Roberts (Y Lolfa)
The name of the winner of the English-language award will be announced at a special event at Cardiff Central Library during the CILIP Cymru Library and Information Conference on Thursday, 15 May 2014, and the winners of the Welsh-language awards at the Urdd National Eisteddfod, Meirionnydd, on Thursday, 29 May 2014.