The longlist for the 2018 Klaus Flugge Prize is now out!
Established in 2016, the Prize is awarded to the most promising and exciting newcomer to children’s book illustration. It honours publisher Klaus Flugge, founder of children’s publisher Andersen Press.
From over 50 submitted books, 15 have made it to the shortlist.
In total 11 publishers are represented including independents Childs Play and Barrington Stoke.
The judges for the 2018 prize are
Waterstones Children’s Laureate, Lauren Child
leading designer and art director Goldy Broad
Charlotte Colwill, head of children’s books at Foyles
and last year’s winner Francesca Sanna.
The panel is chaired by Julia Eccleshare, director of the children’s programme of the Hay Festival.
Julia Eccleshare said: “We are very pleased that this year’s Klaus Flugge Prize attracted the highest number of entries yet and delighted to be putting these fifteen highly talented illustrators into the spotlight.”
The 2018 Klaus Flugge Prize longlist in full:
- Jabari Jumps, Gaia Cornwall, editor Tanya Rosie, art editor Deirdre McDermott (Walker)
- Leaf, Sandra Dieckmann, editor Harriet Birkinshaw, art editor Camille Pichon (Flying Eye)
- Cranky Caterpillar, Richard Graham, edited by Roger Thorp and Anna Ridley (Thames & Hudson)
- Beyond the Fence, Maria Gulemetova, editor Sue Baker, art editor, Annie Kubler (Child’s Plays)
- Woolf, Patrick Latimer, written by Alex Latimer, editor Neil Dunnicliffe, art editor Lee-May Lim (Pavilion)
- The Night Box, Ashling Lindsay, written by Louise Greig, editor Melissa Fairley, art editor Tiffany Leeson (Egmont)
- My Name is Not Refugee, Kate Milner, editor Emma Hargrave, art editor Julie-Ann Murray (Barrington Stoke)
- Curiosity: The Story of a Mars Rover, Markus Motum, editor Denise Johnstone-Burt, art editor Louise Jackson (Walker Studio)
- Hortense and the Shadow, Lauren O’Hara, written by Natalia O’Hara, editor Andrea MacDonald, art editor Anna Billson (Puffin)
- The Real Boat, Victoria Semykina, written by Marina Aromshtam, editor Katie Howarth, art editor Genevieve Webster (Templar)
- Fergal is Fuming, Robert Starling, editor Libby Hamilton, art editor Rebecca Garill (Andersen Press)
- Big Hid, Roisin Swales, editor Harriet Birkinshaw, art editor Camille Pichon (Flying Eye)
- Magnificent Birds, Narisa Togo, editor Alice Primmer, art editor Charlie Moyler (Walker Studio)
- Big Box, Little Box, Edward Underwood, editor Emma Blackburn (Bloomsbury)
- Dino, Diego Vaisberg, editor Carly Blake, art editor Genevieve Webster (Templar)
The shortlist will be announced on 16 May 2018 at a special evening event at Foyles Charing Cross Road and the winner will be revealed on 12 September 2018.